Friday, August 17, 2007

Watson on Hermione Granger

Watson is supportive of her alter ego, Hermione Granger. She called her "charismatic" and "a fantastic role to play" prior to the third film (2003),[12] and IGN.com even said Watson was "Hermione through and through" in preparation for the Goblet of Fire film.[16] When Watson took GCSE examinations in 10 subjects, achieving eight A* and two A grades, it spawned comparisons to Hermione Granger, who has been consistently written as a straight-A student by author J. K. Rowling.[30] In 2007, prior to the fifth film, Watson stated: "There are too many stupid girls in the media. Hermione’s not scared to be clever. I think sometimes really smart girls dumb themselves down a bit, and that’s bad. When I was 9 or 10, I would get really upset when they tried to make me look geeky, but now I absolutely love it. I find it's so much pressure to be beautiful. Hermione doesn’t care what she looks like. She's a complete tomboy.”[23] Finally, she also admits that there is quite a lot of herself in the confident and bookish Hermione: "I'm a bit of a feminist. I'm very competitive and challenging."[23]

Harry Potter author J. K. Rowling was said to be supportive of Watson from the early moments on.[7] In a 2007 interview with YOU Magazine, Watson was very appreciative of Rowling, stating she [Rowling] "has been really lovely and very supportive of the films - she comes on set and she is in e-mail contact with a lot of us. She just said to me, 'You are Hermione, you have completely become her,' which was just so nice and so generous of her [...] J K Rowling based the character on herself, so obviously she will have had a very strong idea of how she [Hermione Granger] would develop, but maybe I have played a small part in the way she is growing up. It would be very flattering if I had."

No comments: